Surrealism is the new Real

Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Number One, Finally Begun

   Allow me to introduce myself. I am a professional artist, currently based in Burlington, Ontario. What kind of art? Well, that's a hard question to answer. Surrealism is my first love, though I tend to stray into many other arenas as well. I have very eclectic tastes in what I do, and a wide variety of artistic media that I have come to love over the years. I have mastered most 2 dimensional mediums, everything from pencils, paint, to computer generated design. I dabble in fashion design - much of my own clothing is made by my own hands, and about 50% of it is my design as well. 3 Dimensional design (ceramics, clay modelling, etc.) still seems to be the bane of my artistic existence, and I am content to leave it in the hands of artists who enjoy the medium more than I.
    I have spent the last 13 years travelling and living in different areas of the world. I spent a year in Northern Ireland studying the conflict, history and art of the area. I spent several years on the East Coast of the USA, and Washington DC, studying, painting, and experiencing new things from venomous snake bites to rock climbing. In 2007 I was diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma, and went through treatment. Shortly after finishing chemo/radiation, I decided it was time to return to the land of my birth and start anew. I had been homesick for some time, and the time seemed right.
    Since then I have been moving around Ontario, looking for a place to call home until the next major change in life. Seems to be the common theme for me.
    I thrive on being busy, social, and finding the imagery and irony in the world around me. I think at times my life has been supernaturally designed to be not only ironic, but poetic, and it's my job to catch as much of the art as possible for all to see. There are times when I do not feel I draw for myself, but for others, especially when folks I have never met walk up to me, look at a drawing I did in 5 minutes and tell me it spoke to them, and they just *have* to have it. It was never for me.
     I don't know how often I will be posting to this blog, but I do know that I will make an effort to do this often. I invite anyone with insight or inspiration to comment, though I will be screening comments for content (spam). Just remember that art is always different for everyone. The artist and the beholder rarely ever agree.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment